Will work wood for food.

I haven’t posted in a while due to business trips, family visits and our annual Spring planting. Unfortunately, the lack of posting corresponds with an absence from the workshop. Alas, my sanctuary has sat idle as I go about my other duties.

Still, that doesn’t mean I don’t take every opportunity to pick up my hand tools when the occasion arises. Our newly-built raised vegetable bed is a case in point. Last year my lady and I planted a vegetable garden for the first time. Flush with success (we’re convinced that a single zucchini plant could feed the world…or at least our neighborhood), we decided to significantly expand our arable space.

So I poked around the internet for some plans to build a raised bed and settled on this one.

A trip to the local big-box store turned up 6 untreated (treated lumber leaches bad stuff into your food so make sure it’s untreated) cedar 2 x 6s and 1 x 4 by 4 stacked along our fence. The lumber stack mocked me for a couple of weeks as I knocked out assignments in Salt Lake City and D.C.

One overcast Saturday afternoon proved to be the perfect time to assemble the casing. Aflutter with excitement, I grabbed my “new” D-8 Disston cross-cut saw freshly delivered from an eBay seller in Missouri and strolled to the back patio to put it to use.

The carpentry was straightforward. Starting with the 4 x 4, I laid out four lengths of 18″ each to serve as the corner posts. Then I broke a sweat with the Disston cutting them to length. The cut wasn’t perfectly square along the x and y axes, but it was impressively close (impressive to me) considering that a handsaw did the deed.

Hmmmm. Clearly it needed a good sharpening. And when I laid the blade upright along my workbench there was a noticeable concave curve from toe to heel. So the sharpening would need a heavy jointing as well….but not now. Time to get back to work.

Two of the 2 x 6s I cut in half to form the box ends. Holy smoke. The saw jumped around in the kerf like popcorn in a pot as I cut. So to the sharpening and jointing list, I added a serious saw set reduction to address the hippity-hoppity sawing action.

UPDATE: A month later I jointed the saw twice and sharpened three times and there are still faint traces of flats on some of the saw teeth. But it cuts much better and I’ll go with it for now.

With the pieces cut it was time to assemble them. But when I “dry fitted” them on the patio, I noticed that the edges were severely out of joint. So I lugged them to my garage workbench and shed much sweat with my Stanley Bailey #7 to edge joint them. I had never jointed an 8′ long board so it was good practice.

Some of the edges were really out of whack and I didn’t feel the need to have them mate perfectly. Just good enough to keep dirt from seeping out.

The carcass would be assembled using galvanized screws versus nails. The 3 ½” screws would hold much better over time and their added strength would be needed as the box acted as a “retaining wall” of sorts for the soil to be deposited within.

The screws were too long to try and muscle into the wood so I drilled pilot holes for each one. Here’s a shot of my 10″ Craftsman brace…

…which I set aside in favor of my ancient Black and Decker rechargeable drill. Well, it was either that or lose 5 lbs drilling 32 pilot holes by hand. In retrospect, I should have drilled some of the pilot holes this way to gain experience using the brace on a “trash” project. Meaning, a project where the margin of error was very wide and mistakes would go unnoticed.

After assembly, I lugged it over to our chosen location. Then moved it aside to dig up the sprinkler hose beneath it so that it could be relocated outside of the bed area. You see, when I turn my garden area, I have a very nasty habit of puncturing sprinkler hoses. Oh sure, I’ve tried to ignore my errors. But the sink-holes that develop advertise my sloppy work to my frowning girlfriend. And she, with a glance, forces me to fix them anyway. My little ditch-digging foray assures that such a turn of events won’t play out with this garden bed.

After relocating the sprinkler hose I moved the box to its final resting place and placed stakes to hold the frame securely while I removed the grass and tilled the soil beneath. At this point I should have leveled the box, but in the heat of the project, I spaced it.

My lady’s brother supplied his brawn and pickup to ferry in a yard of dirt/compost mix. Bob may be in his 50s, but the man has a P90X workout body that came in handy as he retilled my initial tilling, then wheel barreled in the dirt, then tilled it again.

And here’s the final result, complete with yummy plants growing outside my home office window.


About The Write Biz

By day, I'm a mild-mannered copywriter who harnesses frontal-lobe creativity (right brain) to help B2B marketers generate leads and sales. By night I pick up hand tools to create wooden masterpieces...and give my black lab Bella the "red dot" laser to chase after.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Will work wood for food.

  1. Pingback: The New Traditional Woodworker Project #1–Long overdue appliance: Let the edge planing begin! | Hand Tool Journey-A woodworking show of hands

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s